Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » XML+XSL matters » xsl transformation slow
Re: xsl transformation slow [message #692 is a reply to message #281] Mon, 19 March 2007 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
braingeyser is currently offline  braingeyser

After some further testing I've found the following:

a)The speed DECREASE due to record size is not linear, seems to be more like a squared increase in time. i.e. double the records = quadruple the time.

b) The speed INCREASE is consistent regardless of recordset size for a given table. It's as big as 400% on some tables in my test db. 15 seconds down from from over 60.

c)The size of the individual records also seems to affect it as much as the size of the recordset. This is probably a bigger worry than the large recordsets, since a user can't change the size of a record.

This would suggest one further optimisation from a developers perspective may be to limit the fields returned from a query if they're not all displayed on the list screen. i.e. hidden fields.

For example if you have 6 fields in a table, 3 of which are hidden(as many are in the radicore example system, mostly dates), then instead of the default ...

$sql_select  = null; 

which selects all fields in the table including hidden ones, you could perhaps have something like...

$sql_select  = field1, field2, field2;

where fields 4, 5 & 6 are hidden and not displayed anyway. Naturally this requires more maintenance, so you'd need to weigh up the benefits of quicker display of larger recordsets versus the extra maintenance.

One thing I noticed during my testing was that the number of pages that benefited from changing 2 lines of code was huge. Every single page that shows multiple records in a horizontal format was affected. Further testament to Radicore's very cool design.

รข

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2007 02:03]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Hide some screen elements?
Next Topic: Change XSLT based on role
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 09:22:06 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01249 seconds