Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Framework » Party
Party [message #739] Tue, 03 April 2007 09:44 Go to next message
stephenboey is currently offline  stephenboey
Hi,

In the recent Radicore package, I notice there is a Party folder.

But directory structures are empty.

Is this meant to be an implementation of the Party Model from Len Silverston book?
Re: Party [message #740 is a reply to message #739] Tue, 03 April 2007 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Yes, but that (and a few other models from the same book) is going into a commercial package and will not be available as open source.

Re: Party [message #741 is a reply to message #739] Tue, 03 April 2007 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sad Alrite, I understand.

I have been using and implementing Siebel CRM for about 5 years.

Siebel from the start has been using Party Model too!

Hope you don't mind me sharing with you about a pitfall of having a Party table.

Siebel makes use of the Party table to control visibility of records depending on the Role of the user. When the number of Roles/Position hits about 150 - 200. Users will begin to experience performance problems when making queries. Reason being, core data like Contact (about 800000 records)/Company has a join to the Party table. In most cases, Parent and Child are residing on the same Party table.

Same with SugarCRM, I think they are using Party model as well. Because they have a table called crmentity.

So the thing about object oriented concepts being used to generalise this Party principle does have some pitfalls as well.

Some people might disagree with me, but just talking from experience ya.

Re: Party [message #742 is a reply to message #741] Tue, 03 April 2007 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do not plan to control visibility of records in the Party table depending on the Role of the user, so hopefully I will not hit this problem.

Re: Party [message #743 is a reply to message #742] Tue, 03 April 2007 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alrite mate, good luck!

Any new and interesting articles to read on your website soon?

Not sure why everybody is talking about web services....its like a battle between standards set by big boys like IBM and Microsoft. Not sure how small fellow like us stand to benefit?

Or perhaps a none Java reporting framework like BIRT or Jasper.

Or perhaps some XForms...haha... Laughing

Re: Party [message #744 is a reply to message #743] Tue, 03 April 2007 13:12 Go to previous message
I haven't got any new articles planned. Besides, at the moment I am too busy working on a big project for a paying customer. This may include some interaction with web services in the future, but I will only include it if it becomes genuinely necessary and not because it is the "buzzword du jour" (like Web 2.0).

Previous Topic: About webServices and WEB
Next Topic: Comparison Radicore vs. Zend Framework
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:26:29 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07066 seconds