Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Something about menus
Something about menus [message #1649] Mon, 15 September 2008 14:35 Go to next message
bonzo_bcn is currently offline  bonzo_bcn
Tony,
The first time I used Radicore it was a bit 'confusing' when I clicked on a menu item and then it dissapeared and the submenu was shown. OTOH I clicked on other menu items and instead of a submenu, a transaction window was shown. This was confusing as clicking two tabs that looked the same the result was completely different.

What do you think about assigning a different css class to menu tasks and to proc tasks? This way a menu item containing a submenu could be displayed in a different way anticipating the user what to expect when clicking it.

Also I know the breadcrumb is there to guide you, but I would also think it would be great to keep the parent menus when accessing a submenu.

What do you think? If you like the idea I can try and implement it.
Re: Something about menus [message #1650 is a reply to message #1649] Mon, 15 September 2008 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
I have been using menu systems such as this for over 30 years, and I have never been confused between a menu option which is a submenu and a menu option which is something else. I have never come across anyone else who was confused on this issue. A menu option is a menu option, and it could be anything. That is why proper label text is important.

In all the years that Radicore has been available nobody else has ever complained of such confusion, so I have no incentive in making such a change. After a brief period any confusion will disappear, so you should be able to live with it for a brief period.

There may be other things in Radicore which may not be what you are used to, but as Radicore is rather unique this could cover a wide range of features. I'm afraid you will just have to get used to them.

Re: Something about menus [message #1651 is a reply to message #1649] Tue, 16 September 2008 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you point me to a modern software in which submenus and transactions look exactly the same?
Re: Something about menus [message #1653 is a reply to message #1651] Tue, 16 September 2008 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not talking about software which *YOU* are used to, I am talking abut software which *I* am used to. I have never heard of the need to distinguish one kind of menu option from another, which is why I have never implemented it. Until it becomes a pressing concern for lots of users I do not see any reason to bother with it.

Re: Something about menus [message #1655 is a reply to message #1649] Tue, 16 September 2008 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about if I try and bother with it?
Re: Something about menus [message #1657 is a reply to message #1655] Tue, 16 September 2008 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can try, but I can't promise that I will ever release it as the part of the standard product.

Even if I do I'll bet that more people will ask "why are the menu buttons different colours?" than "why are the menu buttons NOT different colours?"

Re: Something about menus [message #1660 is a reply to message #1649] Tue, 16 September 2008 05:22 Go to previous message
Well, I can make the submenus a different class, but that doesn't mean that they should look different if you don't want to. Both css classes can be defined identically so nothing will change from how it looks now.
But then there would be the option for redefining the submenu css class to make it look different.
I'll try to implement it anyway for my client, once it is done, you can decide to include it or not.
Previous Topic: Example Generated Page
Next Topic: Custom authentication
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:28:44 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01142 seconds