Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » PDF facility to produce letters
PDF facility to produce letters [message #2092] Fri, 29 May 2009 10:02 Go to next message
gpatti is currently offline  gpatti
Tony,

Further to the post about column size relating to text fields, I thought it might be worth posting what I am actually doing here in case you thought it might be worth providing a properly designed and supported feature that everyone could use.

I've actually produced a very basic facility to produce letters from my application using the PDF output patterns. I allow the user to specify paragraphs of text which are stored in a table. Taking other user data and the paragraphs and using titles I can combine the data into a (very basic) letter format. I was thinking of improving on this with some kind of mail merge of fields (similar to way you do with %%name) to allow more flexibility and give a better looking letter.

At this point I thought it was worth mentioning to you to see if you felt it was worth proper deveopment within the framework.

Graham
Re: PDF facility to produce letters [message #2094 is a reply to message #2092] Fri, 29 May 2009 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
That sounds too specific in its functionality rather than generic, and it could probably be produced with an existing pattern combined with the right custom code, so I don't see any advantage in building a new pattern.

Re: PDF facility to produce letters [message #2095 is a reply to message #2092] Fri, 29 May 2009 10:24 Go to previous message
gpatti is currently offline  gpatti
Well you are right - it can be achieved with the existing patterns and some custom code because I've done (albeit a little crudely at the moment).

I just wondered whether there might be any benefit in an additional pattern that is not so biased to tabular format output. This might make it a little easier to develop a more user friendly interface within an app.

If you don't think it's worth it that's no problem.
Previous Topic: Message of the Day
Next Topic: Anonymous browsing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:21:57 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00879 seconds