Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Data Dictionary » Icon Support
Icon Support [message #209] Tue, 25 July 2006 22:37 Go to next message
ljkbrost is currently offline  ljkbrost
I was looking at the std.datafield.xsl file and noticed that there is an ICON control type but there is no mapping for this in the framework. I was wonder what the intended purpose of the icon is?

I ask because I'm wanting to create a list view with "hot key buttons" so that each line that contains a record has an update/delete/do something action on the same line so that I don't have to select the record and then click the buttons in the nav bar.

Something like the following link where the two green buttons on the left side will initiate an action if clicked.

http://www.swsoft.com/r/upload/screenshot-plesk75reloaded_clients_longhorn_black-495x371.gif

I looked at overloading the fieldspec to include controls for the hyperlink that would automatically reference a intermediate script that would re-route the request with the key encoded as a "get" parameter. But... I don't like the security weakness as well as the monkey work I need to keep the page navigation correct.

Is this feature in the system some where?
Re: Icon Support [message #213 is a reply to message #209] Wed, 26 July 2006 04:57 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Icons can be included in the tree view, as demonstrated in http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/survey-prototype.html#o rganisation.structure

The reasons that I don't use hotkey buttons on individual lines are as follows:
  • Having buttons on each line means that you can only perform a single action on a single record, whereas with my method you can select multiple records before performing the action.
  • These buttons use the GET method to send their requests to the server, and using the GET method to perform database updates is a definite no-no. The POST method should be used for all updates while the GET method should be read only.
  • These buttons would have to include the primary key of the selected record, and exposing primary keys to the outside world is generally considered to present a security issue. My method does not expose primary keys, just an index number to the current record set.
  • Having the same set of buttons duplicated on every line seems a waste of space to me. I have each button defined just once.

Previous Topic: (BUG+FIX) SQL error with getData and complex SELECT statements
Next Topic: Subsystem in Different Database Systems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 02:54:55 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05783 seconds