Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Installation Issues » built-in installer? (I've documented some of my experience with installing radicore (though I haven't succeeded yet), which could, I think, be very easy.)
built-in installer? [message #3635] Fri, 05 April 2013 04:11 Go to next message
DannyBoyPoker is currently offline  DannyBoyPoker
I've freshly downloaded Radicore.
I'm looking at http://www.radicore.org/installation.php

In particular, item 5:
Using your favourite database administration tool you need to:
Create each database/schema manually (menu, dict, audit, workflow, classroom, product, survey, xample). Create the tables in those databases/schemas from the ???-schema.sql scripts.
Load the data from the ???-data.sql scripts. Note that there is no data to be pre-loaded into the AUDIT database.

These scripts exist in the various radicore/???/sql/mysql/ subdirectories.

I'm trying to parse this part:
'These scripts exist in the various radicore/???/sql/mysql/ subdirectories.'

I can find them, I suppose, so technically, that's not my issue. The problem is, that I wonder a bit, at this juncture, I ask--so does everybody simply amiably deal with this, when they reach this step? Because, I'm inclined to suggest an 'installation' folder. That might be a good place for a 'sql' folder. And that, might be the place to put all sql files. You support multiple databases, of course, so say that under 'sql', there is a 'mysql' folder, containing the relevant sql files, & etc.

So we're stuck. I'm curious anyways, what happens if I go to index.php, without having done any database installation (which of course I haven't).

I get this:
--
Warning: require(include.general.inc) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\radicore\menu\logon.php on line 28

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'include.general.inc' (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\PEAR') in C:\xampp\htdocs\radicore\menu\logon.php on line 28
--

So okay, what is line 28, in logon.php. It is this:
--
require 'include.general.inc';
--

Now, I know that's in the 'includes' folder. I also know that item 1 said something about:
--
You may wish to leave the INCLUDES directory where it is, or you may wish to move it to a place which is outside the web root if you are going to deploy this on a publicly-accessible web server. Whatever you decide to do you must amend the "include_path" directive in the HTACCESS.TXT file appropriately (see item 3 below).
--

And, fine, I mean I ignored that, because I resent goofing w/htaccess.txt as part of installation. Wouldn't this preferably be a case of convention over configuration? But, fine. So what is in htaccess.txt ('HTACCESS.TXT', unless we're being case sensitive, I get that).

There is this line:
--
php_value include_path ".;F:\Apache2\HTDOCS\RADICORE\INCLUDES
--

Okay, so, we're resetting the include_path from inside the .htaccess file. The included files are in a folder named '/includes/', located in the main directory. Upon reflection, instead of changing .htaccess.txt, I've moved the 'includes' folder, into the path that is already configured. Which is not what's given here in .htaccess.txt, because that file is being ignored. Because, it needs to be renamed to '.htaccess'. Something about this is mentioned in item 2, although it's garbled a bit, I think.
What it says is:
--
The file HTACCESS.TXT contains some Apache directives. This can be renamed to .htaccess in a *nix environment, or for Windows you can insert the following lines into your httpd.conf (Apache configuration) file:
--

I'm not clear on the distinction, between a *nix environment, and Windows, there. .htaccess.txt can be renamed to .htaccess
in a Windows environment, too. Be that as it may, the file 'include.general.inc' has a line:

--
require_once 'config.inc'
--

Now, this is line 39 for me. So, where is 'config.inc'? When I do a find on http://www.radicore.org/installation.php, I locate this: 'The database name to be used in the 'connect' function is specified in the $PGSQL_dbname variable in the CONFIG.INC file.'

Ah, the famed CONFIG.INC file. Where is it? Similarly, under 'C. Notes for Oracle users:' there is this: The database name to be used in the 'connect' function is specified in the $dbhost variable in the CONFIG.INC file.

And then also, there is this: 'The only file you need to amend should be CONFIG.INC (in the INCLUDES directory) to specify the username and password for your database.'

Bingo, 'config.inc' is in the 'includes' directory. The next line is key: 'You can rename CONFIG.INC.DEFAULT to CONFIG.INC to provide a starting version.' This is from item 10. I am unclear on how this is the 'only file' I need to amend, what was all that about amending .htaccess?

I note, that I incline to the view, that the database tables could be created using a web interface that handles installation.
So I mildly resent taking this step as well, but okay I've renamed 'config.inc.default' to config.inc.

With that change, I get a 'This application has encountered an unrecoverable error' and count it as progress, as it's an 'Access denied' for mysqli_connect().

Now, on this matter of automating installation a bit, naturally, it's easy to ask for this, without considering the matter
of how hard would it be to accomplish? Maybe it would be harder than manually installing Radicore (hard to believe), but
if so, then maybe there is some rapid application development tookit, which would be ideal for accomplishing this..

Also, the 'forum' link doesn't appear until after I've logged in, which, okay, is not the bug, fine. However, logging in, does not log me in to the forum. No single sign on! I don't know, maybe this is debatable, but I'll suggest that single-sign-on/registration seems reasonable to expect, here. I'm contemplating it from a dev perspective, can it be done conveniently?

Also, your captcha is, well, I'm trying to be generous, but I can't resist pasting it:
********,,,,******,,,**,,,,,**,,**,,,,**,
,**,,,,,**,,**,,,,**,,,**,,,**,,,,**,,**,,
,**,,,,,**,,**,,,,,,,,,,**,**,,,,,,****,,,
,********,,,,******,,,,,,***,,,,,,,,**,,,,
,**,,,,,**,,,,,,,,**,,,,**,**,,,,,,,**,,,,
,**,,,,,**,,**,,,,**,,,**,,,**,,,,,,**,,,,
,********,,,,******,,,**,,,,,**,,,,,**,,,,

I make that as a 'BSXY', but also, there are many CAPTCHA implementations, some better than others.
Re: built-in installer? [message #3636 is a reply to message #3635] Fri, 05 April 2013 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
The reason that I use a file called htaccess.txt on windows is that it is not possible to create a file called (dot)htaccess. Windows will not allow you to create a file with an extension but no.

As for your other comments, if you can't be bothered to read and follow the installation instructions then I see no point in dealing with you.

Re: built-in installer? [message #3637 is a reply to message #3635] Fri, 05 April 2013 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jjtoranzo2004 is currently offline  jjtoranzo2004
Yes, we deal with it just fine.

Database creation depends on the DBMS you have installed.
For example, with MySQL a common way is to use phpMyAdmin
Re: built-in installer? [message #3641 is a reply to message #3637] Fri, 05 April 2013 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DannyBoyPoker is currently offline  DannyBoyPoker
I've installed everything, and it looks very nice, sample apps and all. I want to appreciate the extent of all this. Looking back over my post, I could have focused up a bit, but I have a point to make, that first impressions maybe count for more than they should. If the point here, is whether I can read, then, well, actually, *I* can be bothered to follow the installation instructions, no problem. I get what I am dealing with here, I'm experienced with web frameworks, I'm an old hand with RTFM, I think, and indeed, I have successfully installed everything.

But, how hard would it be to automate some of this stuff? And, is it quite proper, to put sql files in these different locations? Now, I don't know, maybe it seems that it is. And, I wonder if the includes folder is the place to but configuration--maybe the root folder for that. Which might seem to be a quibble. I might change my mind. But I can clarify the matter of .htaccess, you certainly can rename a file to .htaccess in Windows, and there are multiple ways to do it. My favorite, is to use an ftp client.
Re: built-in installer? [message #3642 is a reply to message #3641] Fri, 05 April 2013 12:19 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Although it is possible to copy a (dot)htaccess file using an FTP client, it is not possible to create or rename a file in Windows that has an extension but no name. I have tried in Windows XP and Windows 7.

As for creating an automated installation process, it may be possible, but I just don't have the time.

I keep all the files for each subsystem in a separate subsystem directory. I don't like having files for different subsystems in the same directory.

Previous Topic: Logon issues
Next Topic: V1.73.0 cannot logon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:05:49 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01129 seconds