Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Internationalisation (I18N) » Running Asian Scripts in Radicore
Re: Running Asian Scripts in Radicore [message #572 is a reply to message #566] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
nnones is currently offline  nnones
To the best of my knowledge, WordPad is not able to save files in UTF-8 format. It does have a "Unicode Text Document" option for saving files but I think this is 2-byte (UCS-2) Unicode, not multi-byte (UTF-8). It is therefore inappropriate for Thai characters, which occupy 3 bytes in UTF-8 format. It probably wouldn't work properly for other character sets, either, even those that take up 2 bytes in UTF-8.

If you change the Radicore code to eliminate the conversion from latin1, then I suggest that you amend your article to make UTF-8 encoding mandatory for all language_text.inc and sys.language_text.inc files that contain non-ASCII characters. This is because the convertEncoding function would no longer convert non-UTF-8 files accurately -- for example, it would no longer handle latin1 files having characters outside the ASCII character set.

The article should also recommend using UTF-8 encoding everywhere as a best practice, for it produces exactly the same output as ASCII encoding (for ASCII characters) whilst handling virtually every other language on Earth.

I will report what I learn as I test the various mbstring.func_overload options.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Translating to spanish
Next Topic: translating fieldnames in errormessages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 05:41:42 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00979 seconds