Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Internationalisation suggestion
Re: Internationalisation suggestion [message #1390 is a reply to message #1385] Tue, 01 July 2008 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bonzo_bcn is currently offline  bonzo_bcn
AJM wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 16:37

I do not consider you suggestion to be an improvement over the existing method, it is just different. I have worked with other systems in the past that used non-database files for all foreign language text, so I am not alone in thinking that is has merits.

Unless you can present a compelling reason why I should switch to a different method I see no reason to change anything.

I've been working also with a big ERP (kind of SAP) and they had it done this way. There was a cache system where all the labels where stored the first time they where retrieved.

In this scenario: you have you application finished, full of transactions etc, now you client asks you to change the title of a column, as it is right now you should have to deal with a lot of files and I'm sure you will forget some. With my suggestion you just go to the dictionary, change the label and that's it.

As for other labels fr buttons etc create a table with "label_id, language_id, text" then a global function can be used wherever you want to retrieve a label for a given language.

You also avoid the hardcoding of titles in the screen.inc files.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message