Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Internationalisation suggestion
Re: Internationalisation suggestion [message #1405 is a reply to message #1404] Tue, 01 July 2008 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bonzo_bcn is currently offline  bonzo_bcn
AJM wrote on Tue, 01 July 2008 06:05

Quote:

I still belive my suggestion is better

• text is split between database and non-database files - all my text is in a single file, one file per language.
    Wrong. You could have everything in the database. Radicore programmers wouldn't have to deal with files. All metadata would be stored in the database.
  • it would require a separate I/O operation to retrieve each piece of text - my method has a single I/O operation to retrieve ALL text.
    Solved with a cache system.
  • getting somebody to translate the text into a different language would require creating a new database record for each piece of text - my method has all the text for a single language in a single file.
    Exactly. But an export and import procedure wouldn't be difficult to implement. Updates of any label would require just an update in the database

Your method: User has to deal with files. Updates introduce a ftp download, file editing and upload just to change a simple label or text. My method doesn't.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message