Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Installation Issues » How to set directory and file permissions (Radicore Installation documentation is vague on permissions. Does anyone know specific permissions parameters?)
How to set directory and file permissions [message #7372] Mon, 07 October 2019 20:17 Go to previous message
Joe is currently offline  Joe
Hi All

I am brand new to Radicore and am following the installation instructions. I am up to Item 4 in the instructions. http radicore DOT org SLASH installation DOT php

Sorry about that weird URL. I am banned from including a link in my first posting. Rules, rules ...

The instructions say, "You will need to change permissions so that the following directories have write access." Then it lists 7 directories. That is it.

I have no idea who or what needs write access, nor what to do with other directories nor what the ownership for these directories and files should be. By default they are root:root because it is necessary to copy them to the web server with sudo permissions. Should they stay as root:root? That doesn't seem correct. I think that it is apache that needs the access. Is that correct?

Please can anyone give me the details on who needs what permissions for all directories and files under the radicore root and which user and group should own these directories and files?

What I expected in a section on permissions would be two blocks of text: one for windows and one for *nix. I am hosting my site on Debian 9, so I do not know about hosting under Windows. What I expect is something like the following. Note what I have written is only for example. It is most likely wrong. Do not blindly follow these instructions. I am just showing what would be an example of an adequate level of detail.

WINDOWS
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

All of the instructions that are relevant.

*NIX
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

1) Set all directories and files under the radicore root directory to USER:GROUP with chown. Please refer to your OS's Apache documentation for the USER and GROUP names to substitute here, or run:

cd /etc/apache2
grep -r www-data *

This will show something like:

envvars:export APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data
envvars:export APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data

Then run:

chown -R USER:GROUP /path-to-radicore-root/

Where USER and GROUP are substituted by what APACHE_RUN_USER and APACHE_RUN_GROUP are set to and substitute for the path-to-root.

2) Set permissions for the radicore root and all subdirectories and files under the root to 755 or read write execute for the user, read execute for the group and other with this command:

chmod -R 755 /path-to-radicore-root

3) Set permissions for directories and files that are exceptions. The following directories and specific files receive different permissions as follows:

Set xxxx directory to 640 (read write for user and read for group and no permissions for other)
Set xxxx file to ...

Here each directory and file that is exceptional would be listed with the details for ownership and permissions.

------------------------

Please note that the above would have to be generalized to all *nix. I am a bit Debian-centric. For example, under Debian flavored OS's Apache runs as www-data, but may run as something else under other *nix.

Also, the details in my example are probably wrong, so do not blindly copy and follow.

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers,

Joe

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: General installation problem
Next Topic: login page not showing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:00:06 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00910 seconds