Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Thank you!
Thank you! [message #3114] Thu, 18 October 2012 09:25 Go to previous message
Nebula is currently offline  Nebula
Hope you don't mind me posting this here, couldn't think of a better public place.....

THANK YOU Mr M for writing such common-sense about so many programming issues that have left me scratching my head for years! Very Happy

It has felt like 'they' are trying to make me feel like a lesser developer because I simply haven't 'got' the point of so many of the trendy buzzwords these days. Like you I design a database first, then the app to go with it - it's the data that's important. I managed for years without any fancy OO gubbins, and every time I tried to understand just what was so wonderful about it, I could see the point in some of it but it just didn't seem to offer anything exceptional.

I've been reading your breath-of-fresh-air opinions and it was a revelation that someone knowledgeable and experienced has rejected so many of the pointless contrivances that have left me feeling underwhelmed too! I haven't needed to work on web apps so far, and have been researching how it's done - which until now had me looking at the various 'rails' approaches. Just the ORM stuff alone had me dejected! When I found your bullet-pointed list of Techniques of Irrelevant Merit that included lambdas and closures, I actually whooped for joy and punched the air Laughing

Thanks for sharing your wealth of experience with us, and making me feel less of an outcast. I wasn't looking for 'validation' and an excuse to not learn new things, it's more like I've tried to see what all the fuss has been about and just couldn't see any fantastic new ways to enhance my life. So, thank you!

I'm still tempted to look for a completely Free (in both senses) Way, so I'm not sure I'll be a customer (and I'm a bit borderline in experience which means "it's not for you" but thanks for Telling It Like It Is) - but at least I've learnt a few useful things, and I could play with it all for nothing and perhaps convince my superiors that the commercial licence is good value - it looks that way compared to many alternatives, that's for sure. I don't object to paying for the benefit of all your work, it's a matter of persuading others.

Best wishes, and thanks again for the enjoyable reading - most uplifting!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: MYSQL Configuration Options
Next Topic: PDF Output Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:43:40 EDT 2024