Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Thank you!
Re: Thank you! [message #3122 is a reply to message #3115] Fri, 19 October 2012 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Nebula is currently offline  Nebula
Cheers.

I actually wish you'd collect all your writings together and produce a book, even just a PDF eBook. The Actual Reality of Software Development, as it were. Not the depressing approach I see all too much of, elsewhere - "I've been told this is the Right Way and I'll spout off about it on forums as if it were my own discovery, when in fact I don't really understand the issues".

I've seen it before, in so many other areas of life, my other hobbies are full of people who are convinced that they know best because they've been conditioned into believing it, rather than figure it out for themselves. They apply what was intended as Best Practice In Most Situations even when those Most Situations were only about 60% all All Situations, and blindly apply that dogma to the other 40% without questioning.

I had assumed that in Programming, full of the collected wisdom of years of applied thinking from people far more intelligent than myself, perhaps this time that dogma really had something going for it. So, if I found it hard to see how various techniques really would help me, somehow it was my fault for being thick. It's a revelation to see someone achieving great results by discarding things that don't really help, and producing something that works - without any of the downsides that The Better Way was supposed to solve.

You've given me a well needed boost of confidence; that if I produce something that works, was quick to develop, is clearly understood, documented, easily maintained, and has no greater chance of flaws than if it were produced using other techniques - why worry? The customer is happy, the devs are happy. If some idiot comes along later and turns his nose up at my coding, why the heck should I actually let it bother me? I don't assume that I'll ever be a ninja guru and know it all, but if the results are perfectly fine, that's all that matters. And it's certainly better than all those bazillions of other projects that get nowhere, and die halfway through Laughing

An eBook would be a great way to make your writings more accessible; help spread the word. I tend to do a lot of reading offline, and I'd need to do a 'wget' to scrape the website to download all your wisdom to read in peace, away from it all. I think in many instances that websites are old hat, and self-publishing downloadable documents is a better alternative. Or at least number the webpages with an index so we can be sure we've found it all Smile

Just be careful that Your Way doesn't get too popular, or it will end up as dogma itself Wink Very Happy

Thanks again

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: MYSQL Configuration Options
Next Topic: PDF Output Performance
Goto Forum: