Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Thank you!
Re: Thank you! [message #3155 is a reply to message #3154] Sat, 17 November 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Nebula is currently offline  Nebula
Thanks.

I haven't been here for a while, I've been reading up on various Web App Frameworks, and it's starting to sink in - what the advantages are.
I'm no great designer, I haven't a hope in making a nice looking web app, so it's appealing to use something where all that is automatic and I get cool design for free.

Still hard to choose between Python(Django), RubyOnR, or good old PHP. Frankly I don't really need a general purpose interpreted scripting language, I can either write a batch/Powershell/AutoHotKey/bash script for simple operations, or leap into Visual Studio or Lazarus(FreePascal) for anything calling for a GUI.

So, while Python and Ruby are interesting, I just don't need them in my life. PHP was made for web apps, just seems like the right tool for the job - popular and capable despite the naysayers who call it an abomination.

It's irritating how many frameworks only offer mailing lists for support, and not forums - so that narrows the choice. And the Beginer's Guide documentation is usually appalling!

I've got as far as understanding the concepts of MVC, passing arrays back and forth between the classes, the command line stuff that sets up the required files and folders, 'scaffolding', and gives you an 'admin' app for free. But then it all goes a bit tricky as it's a LOT of studying to get to grips with how things are really achieved, and it's a real struggle to wade through documentation that isn't structured and grouped into logical categories in a way that would make learning easy.

So far I have three PHP frameworks on my shortlist, and it's hard to choose between them. I won't say what they are, in case it's against forum sensibilities Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: MYSQL Configuration Options
Next Topic: PDF Output Performance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 03:14:52 EDT 2024