Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Development Diary (markcarranza) (Experiences with Radicore)
Re: Development Diary (markcarranza) [message #3223 is a reply to message #3214] Wed, 19 December 2012 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
markcarranza is currently offline  markcarranza
Juan,
>blank column dropdown search to query all text fields
Perhaps, with hindsight, that might be 'text fields in the senior table marked searchable in the data dictionary.'

But, when doing this kind of thing before, the default search choice in the column choice dropdown was 'All Searchable Fields'. In addition, all the column names were in 'English,'; which is a requirements-language shortcut term for 'in the vocabulary of the user, and not the column names in the database.'

An better 'task customization' example would be the Zen Cart customer list screen, where the I changed default search to query if text entered
"WHERE customer_first_name LIKE '%".$input."%'"
. " OR customer_last_name LIKE '%".$input."%'" 

if all numerals entered
"WHERE customer_id = '".$input."'"
. " OR customer_zipcode = '".$input."'" 

>blank column dropdown search to query all text fields
was kind of a throw-away. It may well be impractical. But I will likely do a similar 'task customization' and 'English field names' as above. I don't know Radicore well enough yet to comment on ease of these customizations. It's possible I'll write a different presentation layer, and possible my client may reject my suggestion of Radicore.

My intended point was about user expectations. I recently read a line about 'intuitive' software: "if your first guess works every time, it's a great piece of software." My first guess failed, so I noted it--if you want to remember it, write it down--so that I would change the software behavior before release to my own users. I remember liking parts of this short essay on web usability, Don't Make Me Think.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message