Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Development Diary (markcarranza) (Experiences with Radicore)
Re: Development Diary (markcarranza) [message #3260 is a reply to message #3230] Sat, 29 December 2012 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
markcarranza is currently offline  markcarranza
Again, thank you for replies.

1) If you want your new application to have the same look and feel...
Not the same, but ... a rich web UI. I'm used to (framework guy) spending 80% of development time on user interface.

There are many things I like about Radicore architecture, especially business layer + workflow, and data access layer + audit. I build highly-customized Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) with JavaScript.

I think I can replace the presentation layer, using a similar small-component philosophy, and still reap some benefits of the Radicore back-end, but it will be a risk. If you think this is an unwise risk, please let me know.

2)d. >resize, reposition
easy to fix location with css. It's my experience that webapp users prefer 'fixed locations and scrolling' rather than 'scrunching.' The interface of this forum's post form is a good example: some things reposition intelligently with resize, but most fixed.

4) With Radicore I might, for example, need to change user_IDs from VARCHAR to INT.
>no sensible reason
For the nonsensible reason that (major client) employees want to change their login name to reflect name changes. So I separate the string used for logins (login_name) from the primary key (user_id, employee_id).

For the sensible reason that users are (typically) employees, and while not all employees are users, using employee_id in 'created_user' and 'revised_user', as well as other application 'user' fields, keeps joins sane in applications with many employee/application integrations. For enterprise clients I use employee_id (technical key) as the primary key of an application user table, the login name is a separate, unique VARCHAR.

7)>The Radicore Security Model
Thank you for the link

9) I'd love to see a system allowing user-created queries and reports.
>customisable report generator which you can obtain from a third party
I haven't found a good one for HTML reporting. They typically have data dictionaries... Suggestions welcome.

In the past I've made a number of custom print-related plug-ins, but all browser specific, IE or Mozilla. Print requirements are still TBD.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message