Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Development Diary (markcarranza) (Experiences with Radicore)
Re: Development Diary (markcarranza) [message #3271 is a reply to message #3260] Tue, 01 January 2013 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
1) I'm used to spending 80% of development time on user interface.

That's where we differ. I spend 80% of my time on functionality. I've given up trying to make things "look pretty" as everybody has a different opinion as to what "pretty" means. If you want to change how the RADICORE screens look then you don't really have to replace the whole of the presentation layer - you can drop in your own CSS files, and you can add JavaScript if you want to. Those facilities have been built into the framework, so it is up to you if you make use of them.

2) It's my experience that webapp users prefer 'fixed locations and scrolling' rather than 'scrunching.'

I am only interested in the default behaviour of browsers, which is that the document will expand and contract to fit the current window. If certain users expect something different then they will be disappointed as I am not going to do anything to override the browser's default behaviour, which I probably couldn't do anyway.

3) With Radicore I might, for example, need to change user_IDs from VARCHAR to INT.

You don't need to. If you wish to link a VARCHAR user_id to an INT on another system they why don't you make use of the PARTY_ID column on the MNU_USER table? This is what I use to link users to parties on my PARTY database.

4) HTML reporting

There is no such concept as an HTML report. An HTML document is designed to be rendered in a browser and cannot be sent directly to a printer. There is an option in the browser to print the current document, but that is controlled from the client, not the server.

If you want to give users the ability to generate their own custom reports from your own application database then you will have to use a 3rd party report generator. I cannot recommend any particular one, but just do a google search on "report generator" and you will see a huge number of results. Just take your pick.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message