Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Bug Reports » Losing $where when fixed selection is not present
Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2242] Mon, 10 August 2009 07:39 Go to next message
gpatti is currently offline  gpatti
I have a bug that seems to have been introduced in a recent upgrade (it doesn't occur in my production environment running 1.48 but does occur in my dev environment running 1.50). I'm struggling to track where it is going wrong in debug - hoping you will be able to help me track it down...

I have a table of items and descriptions. I have a second table containing rdcaccount_id and the item_id from the first table, and amounts. So a user can specify their own amounts for the items in the master table.

Updating of the amounts works perfectly, and the framework handles the rdcaccount_id automatically.

I also have two output2 tasks to print reports of the charges
1) Current amounts only (by setting curr/hist = 'C' in fixed selection)
2) All amounts (leave fixed selection blank)

For some reason I have to pass the rdcaccount_id to these tasks manually using _cm_getWhere() to ensure I only get the relevant rows (is this a bug also?) - the framework is not providing it automatically. In 1.48 this approach works OK.

However, in 1.50 only the 'current amounts' report is working correctly. The 'all amounts' report is displaying amounts for all rdcaccount_id (seems to be being filtered out somewhere, but I can't find where). The only difference between the tasks is the presence of the fixed selection criteria.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Graham
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2243 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 10 August 2009 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
How are you activating the OUTPUT2 task? Is it from a navigation button? If so, does the table in that parent task also contain a column called rdcaccount_id?

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2244 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 10 August 2009 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I am activating via a navigation button from a LIST2 transaction (there are two naviagtion buttons - one for each report).

The list2 transaction has the parent table that does NOT contain rdcaccount_id, and the child table DOES contain rdcaccount_id. Thus each user sees all the data from the parent table, but only their own rows from the child table. It works fine for the administration of the data, but not for the output2 tasks.

Graham
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2245 is a reply to message #2243] Mon, 10 August 2009 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would appear that the getData_serial() method (as used in OUTPUT tasks) did not contain the code to set the value of rdcaccount_id. This is fixed in the attached file.

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2246 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 10 August 2009 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks - that's confirmed working now.
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2265 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony, with further more detailed testing I've found that this isn't completely fixed under certain conditions.

If I run the OUTPUT2 task without making any specific selections (i.e. a complete report) the following SQL is generated:

SELECT cost_group_charge.*, cost_group.cost_group_desc, school.school_name  
FROM cost_group_charge  
LEFT JOIN cost_group ON (cost_group.cost_group_id=cost_group_charge.cost_group_id)  
LEFT JOIN school ON (school.school_id=cost_group_charge.rdcaccount_id)  
WHERE cost_group_charge.rdcaccount_id='7'    
ORDER BY cost_group_charge.age_group_id, cost_group_seq_nbr, cost_group_charge.banner_req  =>Count=86

However, if I make a couple of selections before running the report the SQL is:

SELECT cost_group_charge.*, cost_group.cost_group_desc, school.school_name  
FROM cost_group_charge  
LEFT JOIN cost_group ON (cost_group.cost_group_id=cost_group_charge.cost_group_id)  
LEFT JOIN school ON (school.school_id=cost_group_charge.rdcaccount_id)  
WHERE ( cost_group_charge.cost_group_id='SDA2' ) OR ( cost_group_charge.cost_group_id='SDA3' ) AND cost_group_charge.rdcaccount_id IN ('1', '7')    
ORDER BY cost_group_charge.age_group_id, cost_group_seq_nbr, cost_group_charge.banner_req  =>Count=6

This actually selects from other rdcaccount_id rows also. It needs the selections that are grouped with the OR statement to be bracketed together.
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2266 is a reply to message #2265] Mon, 17 August 2009 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the 'cost_group' table contains rdcaccount_id, and rdcaccount_id is part of the primary key, are you including rdcaccount_id in the select list of the inner entity of the LIST2 task?

When you mark rows as being selected in a LIST task it will extract the primary keys of the selected rows and place them in the $selection string, which will be used as the $where string in any child task. If any part of the primary key is not available in $this->fieldarray then it cannot be extracted, which means that the $selection string will not correctly identify the records which you selected.

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2267 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you are correct in that this is the root cause of the problem because the table cost_group does not contain rdcaccount_id and so this is not specified in the $selection string.

In the original post in this thread I pointed out that I have linked two tables, only ONE of which contains rdcaccount_id.

The functionality I have tried to create is to have a master set of items (using table cost_group not containing rdcaccount_id). Each account owner can then create their own scale of charges for these items (using table cost_group_charge containing rdcaccount_id) and related to table cost_group using cost_group_id.

The framework is handling it perfectly apart from the reporting.
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2268 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a work around to this it would be OK for me to ignore any selections made by the user when producing the report (i.e. I would always produce a full report rather than a selective report). Is there any way I can bypass/ignore any selections the user has made? (e.g. set $selection to null in an appropriate method?)
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2269 is a reply to message #2267] Mon, 17 August 2009 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you have as the $outer and $inner entities of your LIST2 task? Does the OUTPUT2 task which is activated from a navigation button work with the $inner entity?

If the $inner entity contains rdcaccount_id in its primary key, is this included in the select list so that it can be extracted and put into the $selection string?

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2270 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually run the output2 task from a list1 transaction based on the cost_group table.

The user can set their charges by selecting cost_groups and entering a list2 task:
The outer table is cost_group (key cost_group_id)
The inner table is cost_group_charge (key rdcaccount_id and cost_group_id + a couple of others)

The intention was for users to be able to print a full scale of charges for all cost groups by running the output2 task from the list1 without making any selections, and this works fine.

However, I can't prevent a user making a selection in the list1 screen before clicking the output2 button, and this is when it goes wrong.

Because of the unusual scenario linking tables, one without rdcaccount_id, maybe it isn't worth the effort of getting the framework to handle this automatically. However, I need to ba able to code to prevent the wrong data being presented to the users, hence the suggestion in my latest post.

Further to this, the output2 task is based on the inner table, but the button is placed on the list1 screen of the outer table.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 August 2009 09:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2271 is a reply to message #2270] Mon, 17 August 2009 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is where you are confusing me. In an earlier post you said that you were ativating the OUTPUT2 task from a LIST2 task (where the $inner entity contains rdcaccount_id), but now you are saying that this problem occurs when you are activating it from a LIST1 task (where the $main entity does NOT contain rdcaccount_id). This also means that you are using a navigation button in a parent task which works on a different table than the one in the child task, which in this case also means that the foreign key which is passed from the parent to the child is incomplete as it is missing rdcaccount_id.

I have played around with my code and have managed to get it to produce a WHERE string in the format:
(( cost_group_id='SDA2' ) OR (cost_group_id='SDA3' )) AND rdcaccount_id IN ('1', '7')

Try the attached file and see if it solves your problem.

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2272 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm really sorry for the confusion. I wasn't being careful when I said earlier it was being called from a LIST2 transaction.

And you are quite right about the foreign key. I wrote this code months ago and when I check I have taken rdcaccount_id from $_SESSION and added rdcaccount_id to _cm_filterWhere().

Your alterations to bracket the OR statements have indeed solved the problem - so thank you for that.

I'd still like to ask about trapping and modifying selections made by a user: in another situation I have a navigation button on a LIST2 transaction that calls another LIST2 transaction with exactly the same parent and child tables (this is simply so that I can split different functionality over different screens). I've noticed that if a user makes a selection before pressing the navigation button I get an error because the primary key is missing in the receiving task (presumably because the $selection takes precedence over the $where). However, in this case I don't want the $selection to be used anyway - I want it to be ignored. If there was a way of doing this I would be able to prevent the missing key error (which confuses the user as the solution is to remove the selections they made). Hope this is explained clearly enough - let me know if not.

Graham
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2273 is a reply to message #2272] Mon, 17 August 2009 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You like being awkward, don't you! Very Happy

Attached is a new version of std.list2.inc in which I have cut out the overwriting of $where with $selection. Both of these values will be passed to initialise() and therefore _cm_initalise(). I have changed the logic inside initialise() as follows:
$where2 = $this->_cm_initialise($where, $selection, $search);
if ($where2 != $where) {
    // this was changed in _cm_initialise(), so use the new version
    $where = $where2;
} else {
    if (!empty($selection)) {
        // $selection takes precedence over $where
        $where     = $selection;
        $selection = null;
    } // if
} // if

If _cm_initialise() changes the contents of $where then $selection will be ignored.
If $where is not changed and $selection is not empty then $where will be overwritten by $selection.
Note that the agument list for _cm_initialise() has been changed to the following:
    function _cm_initialise ($where, &$selection, $search)
    // perform any initialisation for the current task.
    // NOTE: $selection is passed by reference as it may be amended.
    // NOTE: $search    is only available for OUTPUT tasks.
    {
        // customisable code goes here

return $where;

} // _cm_initialise 

$selection is passed by reference so that you can change its contents. If you erase it then it cannot be used to overwrite the contents of $where.

Try the attached file to see if it works OK.
  • Attachment: std.list2.zip
    (Size: 3.47KB, Downloaded 1746 times)

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2274 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's me all over Twisted Evil

This is going to take quite some testing which I will get on with. However, first thing I notice is that $where and $selection aren't as I expected when I look in _cm_initialise(). I need a bit of help understanding what's going on.

If I call the second list2 transaction without making any selections I see that $where contains the primary key passed over, and $selection is NULL. Perfect sense.

However, if I make a selection and then call the list2 tranaction I now see that $where contains the selections I made, and $selection is NULL. Not what I was expecting!

[Will be out for a few hours now, but will do some more testing on my return]

Graham
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2275 is a reply to message #2274] Mon, 17 August 2009 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not seeing this at all in my testing. When the 2nd LIST2 is activated the $where string contains the primary key of the $outer entity from the 1st LIST2 and the $selection string contains whatever has been selected from the $inner entity (may be empty). These are the exact values which are made available to _cm_initialise() without being changed at all.

Are you sure you are using the new versions of both std.table.class.inc and std.list2.inc which I supplied you?

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2276 is a reply to message #2242] Mon, 17 August 2009 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been scratching my head over this one and I've finally realised why I'm not seeing the same results as you...

The second task is not a LIST2 after all: it's a MULTI2 !!

Really sorry!
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2277 is a reply to message #2276] Mon, 17 August 2009 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would explain it. Try the attached file.

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2280 is a reply to message #2242] Tue, 18 August 2009 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. $where and $selection now show expected results:

1. Without making selections $where and $selection both hold the primary key
2. With selections $where holds the orimary key and $selection holds the selections made

However, if I make selections and then set $selection = $where in _cm_initialise (to match scenario 1) I still get the error message 'Primary key (primary_key_id) is not complete - check selection'.

Do I need to do something more complex than simply setting $selection?

A solution I can use if the approach I was taking is not valid is to trap that selections have been made and display a custom error telling the user not to make selections. This works OK.
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2281 is a reply to message #2280] Tue, 18 August 2009 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't want to use $selection then why not simply set it to null?

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2282 is a reply to message #2242] Tue, 18 August 2009 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did try that and still got the same result - the 'Primary key not complete' message is displayed. I was trying to prevent that.
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2283 is a reply to message #2282] Tue, 18 August 2009 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do not understand. You said in message #2280 that $where always contains the primary key whether a selection has been made or not, so there is no reason for the error message "Primary Key is not complete". I cannot reproduce this behaviour at all - it always behaves as expected.

Can you step through with your debugger to see where the primary key in $where is being rejected?

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2287 is a reply to message #2242] Thu, 27 August 2009 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've now spent some time trying to debug what is happening and I think it is as follows:

I move from an outer table to an inner table using a LIST2 transaction and $where at this point contains the primary key of the outer table row, such that all the inner table rows are selected as expected.

Now, I have two choices:

1. I press a navigation button which gives me a MULTI2 transaction based on the same inner table - having NOT made any selections. This works correctly, and $where still contains the primary key from the outer table.

2. I press a navigation button which gives me a MULTI2 transaction based on the same inner table - having made a selection. Now I find that $where is being replaced by $selection at line 2467 of std.table.class.inc because $selection is not empty. It now doesn't contain the primary key of the outer table resulting in the 'primary key not complete error'.

Maybe I need to do something to handle this?

Graham
Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2288 is a reply to message #2287] Thu, 27 August 2009 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is the default behaviour to replace $where with $selection when $selection is not empty. In order to override this default you should place the following code in the outer/parent table of the MULTI2 task:
    function _cm_initialise ($where, &$selection, $search)
    // perform any initialisation for the current task.
    // NOTE: $selection is passed by reference as it may be amended.
    // NOTE: $search    is only available for OUTPUT tasks.
    {
        $selection = null;

return $where;

} // _cm_initialise

This will then prevent $where from being replaced with the contents of $selection.

Re: Losing $where when fixed selection is not present [message #2289 is a reply to message #2242] Thu, 27 August 2009 12:23 Go to previous message
Perfect!

Problem solved. Thanks for the help.
Previous Topic: isnull clause being filtered out of $where with scriptNext()
Next Topic: Recover Password is encrypted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 09:04:33 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01721 seconds