Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE Suggestions » Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide [message #237] Wed, 16 August 2006 06:28 Go to next message
Acharn is currently offline  Acharn
I'm having lots of difficulty understanding FAQ's #52 and #36, but by following links I'm working things out. The Home Page makes clear that this isn't supposed to be a simple tool for the uneducated masses, and I thought I had the skills needed for it (well, I guess I still do think so but I'm having to work harder than I hoped for). I hope that working through this will give me a deeper understanding of what the infrastructure is doing for me and what I'll still have to do for myself.

It would be kind of nice, though, if I had a step-by-step guide that just says, "From the log-in page, click on the menu-bar item that says..., then click on..."

Maybe after I get through this I'll try to write one and send it to Tony to see if he thinks it's useful. I know I hate writing documentation, so I'm not complaining -- really!

By the way, the tutorial mentioned in another thread about using Radicore to set up the Ruby on Rails Cookbook is not very helpful in the PHP context. The problem his is a Java-based program with rather different controls and names on the menu items. I've downloaded the Beta 3 version of his program just in case, but I really would be a lot happier using PHP, since I've had a *lot* more exposure to it.

Roger
Re: Quick Start Guide [message #238 is a reply to message #237] Wed, 16 August 2006 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
I think you mean FAQ #54 and #36.

I thought those instructions were perfectly adequate. I tell you what function to use, provide you with a link to that function's documentation so that you can identify it via the screen shot and read how it works, and also tell you what to do with it. It is understood that you familiarise yourself with the framework enough so that you can use the menu buttons and the navigation buttons to switch from one screen to another. You cannot just install the framework and start building new components without knowing the basics.

If you think that you can provide better documentation then be my guest.

Re: Quick Start Guide [message #290 is a reply to message #238] Thu, 21 September 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acharn is currently offline  Acharn
Laughing I actually was thinking about doing that, if I can find the time. What would be the best format to use -- HTML? What I had in mind was writing up a tutorial with screen shots and sending it to you to see if you felt it would be useful, but I don't know the usual practice, since I've never submitted an article to any of the web sites I've gotten so much help from (e.g. O'Reilly's LAMP, or A List Apart). Well, I probably won't ever be able to make enough time to actually do it, but I would like to.

Roger
Re: Quick Start Guide [message #291 is a reply to message #290] Fri, 22 September 2006 05:07 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
The format for all documentation of my site is HTML. If you wish to provide your own tutorials for possible inclusion in my site then you are free to do so. I welcome all contributions, although I may find it necessary to edit/modify them.

Previous Topic: Validation plug-ins
Next Topic: menu controls separately per subsystem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:29:30 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01080 seconds