Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » RADICORE announcements » Forum has been offline
Forum has been offline [message #2449] Sun, 28 March 2010 10:56
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Some of you may have noticed that this forum has been offline since the start of this month. This was because I (foolishly) tried to upgrade the forum software from version 2 to version 3, and this upgrade did not go as smoothly as expected.

After the 1st upgrade the admin page reported that all the forum posts were there, but when I visited each individual forum there were no posts visible!

I tried the upgrade a 2nd time, but afterwards it would not let me unlock the forum, so I could not see if the posts were there or not.

I decided that the upgrade from 2 to 3 was a failure, so I took a backup, uninstalled the entire forum, and tried a fresh install of version 3. This went OK, but left me with an empty forum. "No problem" I thought, "I'll just reload from the backup which I just made". This appeared to go well - all the forum groups were there, each group showed all the old postings, but when I examined individual posts I found that the message bodies were garbled. Some of the text was correct, but some of it was missing, and some of the text appeared to be from a different post.

I gave up at this point and contacted the authors of his software via there own forum. That was a waste of time as they were as helpful as a hole in a sinking ship. I gave up at this point as I had my own software to write and my own deadlines to meet.

I tackled it again this weekend, and by installing the forum software on my laptop and importing my last backup, I managed to manipulate the text files until the messages became ungarbled. I then took a backup from my laptop and uploaded that to my hosted server. When I imported that latest backup it ran for quite a while, then fell over with an "uncaught exception". What plonker wrote this software?

When I examined the forum contents I discovered that it had all been recovered except for all the private messages and a few of the earliest attachments. That I can live without as all the really important stuff has been recovered.

If somebody asks me "I see that you are using the FUDforum software. Would you recommend it?" my answer would be an emphatic NO! When it works it's OK, but just you try uprading to a later version, or reloading from a backup, and see just where that gets you.

Previous Topic: RADICORE v1.57.0 released
Next Topic: RADICORE v1.58.0 released
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:02:45 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01353 seconds