Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » What does "create a component script" mean?
What does "create a component script" mean? [message #284] Thu, 21 September 2006 05:19 Go to next message
Acharn is currently offline  Acharn
OK, after a three-week break to work on other jobs, I was able to get back to experimenting with Radicore. I'm still convinced this is the best tool for creating the database application I need, but it's a challenge!

So by opening FAQ #54 in one window and Radicore in another and switching back and forth I finished setting up a new project. I took lots of notes as I went, so I hope the next project I try to create will go faster. Unfortunately, when I move on the FAQ #36 I get immediately confused. "Each application component will require the following scripts..." OK so far. "Note that when you create a family of forms..." OK, I'll keep that in mind. "Before you can actually run these scripts..." Hmmm. Apparently I should create the scripts *before* I update the Menu and Security system. Otherwise how would I know the names of the scripts?

Ahhh! Here we are! "To demonstrate this procedure I shall create a new table..." OK, create table, go through the same steps as FAQ #54, and then:
"11. Create a LIST1 screen: 1. Create a component script called..."
What does that mean? Am I supposed to type this script into my PHP editor? And the following six scripts? For every table in my database?

Roger
Re: What does "create a component script" mean? [message #286 is a reply to message #284] Thu, 21 September 2006 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Believe it or not you cannot create a working application without using an editor (preferably a full-blown IDE with debug capabilities) to create PHP scripts. You will need to edit class files to insert business rules, and you will need to edit screen files to define screen contents.

If you think the small amount of code you have to create is too much for you, try achieving the same thing WITHOUT the Radicore framework and you will see a big difference - all that HTML, all that SQL, all that input validation, all that code ...

BTW, I am working on a faster way to create the component scripts and the screen files by pressing a button on the Update Task screen, but it will not be ready for some time.

Re: What does "create a component script" mean? [message #292 is a reply to message #286] Mon, 25 September 2006 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acharn is currently offline  Acharn
AJM wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 16:48

Believe it or not you cannot create a working application without using an editor (preferably a full-blown IDE with debug capabilities) to create PHP scripts. You will need to edit class files to insert business rules, and you will need to edit screen files to define screen contents.

If you think the small amount of code you have to create is too much for you, try achieving the same thing WITHOUT the Radicore framework and you will see a big difference - all that HTML, all that SQL, all that input validation, all that code ...

Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not objecting to doing that! In fact I agree it's a couple orders of magnitude easier than the approach I've seen before, where I would have to create the entire list, detail, search, and post (or CRUD) pages from scratch. I just wasn't sure what was meant by "create" in this context. I thought they might be generated automatically by some other action, since there are templates for them.

Quote:

BTW, I am working on a faster way to create the component scripts and the screen files by pressing a button on the Update Task screen, but it will not be ready for some time.

That sounds useful.

Roger
Re: What does "create a component script" mean? [message #293 is a reply to message #292] Mon, 25 September 2006 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If an operation can be achieved by using an on-line function I will identify that function in the documentation. No matter how much automation I can build into the framework there will always be some parts that have to be done manually.

The tricky part about trying to generate the component scripts automatically is that they also require screen structure scripts, and these may require references to fields on one, two or three tables. Some of these screen structure scripts may also be shared by other components, so I will need the facility to either pick an existing one or create a new one.

Re: What does "create a component script" mean? [message #343 is a reply to message #293] Mon, 30 October 2006 03:34 Go to previous message
The ability to have the framework generate the basic scripts for you is now included in version 1.17.0

There is a tutorial available at http://www.radicore.org/viewarticle.php?article_id=87

Previous Topic: Failure with Rename Task
Next Topic: how to handle blobs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:01:26 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01029 seconds