Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Transaction Patterns » A few Transaction Patterns on the same screen
A few Transaction Patterns on the same screen [message #639] Thu, 15 February 2007 21:18 Go to next message
stephenboey is currently offline  stephenboey
Tony,

Just wondering, how is it possible to do the below on the same screen in Radicore?

#1 Related by relationships
[Contact Detail Screen]
[Contact Sub Detail Screen]
[Address List]
[To Do List]
[Attachment List]
[Notes]

#2 Not related
----------------------------------------
[Tree] | [Responsiblity List Screen] |
| [Responsibility Detail Screen]|
| |
----------------------------------------

[Updated on: Thu, 15 February 2007 22:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A few Transaction Patterns on the same screen [message #640 is a reply to message #639] Sat, 17 February 2007 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
None of the existing patterns will allow such an arrangement on a single screen. Each pattern consists of a number of "zones", where each "zone" is a distinct area on the screen and is populated from a single database entity (which may include data from other tables obtained by a JOIN).

At present the maximum number of zones on any single screen is 3. In order to increase this number I would have to create an XSL stylesheet capable of handling that number of zones, and then a page controller which identified which database table class fed which zone.

I avoid the situation where I try to pack as much information as possible into a single screen for the following reasons:

• It becomes slower to build the screen due to the amount of data that has to be retrieved.
  • As well as the data for each zone you may also need a separate scrolling/pagination area or each zone, which adds to the clutter on the screen.
  • Although a small number of people like to see everything on a single screen, most other people complain that the screen is "too busy", and that the information they are looking for is lost amongst all that "noise".
  • Some people seem to think that having to navigate to different screens to see different sets of data is a slow and cumbersome process. Such people have not experienced the navigation buttons within Radicore.
The Radicore philosophy is to keep each screen as small as possible so that it loads fast, and to use navigation buttons to quickly jump between associated screens.

Re: A few Transaction Patterns on the same screen [message #641 is a reply to message #640] Sat, 17 February 2007 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stephenboey is currently offline  stephenboey
Hi Tony,

Thought you will say that. Laughing Its ok. Cool

I agree with you. Sometimes, people (users) compare simple software layouts with other softwares. Until they start using it and then complain.

On the other hand, sometimes their requirements could be quite complicated. First impression does count.

Despite these factors, a lot of software still have lots of list screens presented to users. Take Dashboards as an example ya.

Sometimes, it is good to be prepared for it too....Not sure about other developers, but I find building a new transaction pattern using your way quite difficult for a start.

I mean if I were trying to build an application, I would want to try keep up with Web2.0 functionality to keep up with market trend. XForms is still in its infancy.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 February 2007 07:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A few Transaction Patterns on the same screen [message #642 is a reply to message #641] Sat, 17 February 2007 07:15 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Web 2.0 is just a buzzword, and I don't do "buzzword-oriented programming".

When it comes to building new transactions patterns my advice is - don't. The Radicore philosophy is to have a large number of small and simple components instead of a small number of large and complex components. Stick with what's available and your life will be easier in the long run.

Previous Topic: Business Rules and Display
Next Topic: POPUP transaction probelm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:19:54 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03598 seconds