Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Regenerate <table_name>.screen.inc files
Regenerate <table_name>.screen.inc files [message #682] Sun, 18 March 2007 02:06 Go to next message
braingeyser is currently offline  braingeyser

I was just wondering if there was a way to regenerate just the screen.inc and detail.screen.inc files for a given db table. I can't seem to find any way other than to delete the associated tasks using the Task(Proc) tab and create the whole lot again from scratch.

The reason I ask, is that I've just added a couple of fields to some tables and would obviously like to reflect those changes in their respective maintenance pages. I re-imported all the relevant data dictionary info and regenerated the <table_name>.dict.inc files with no problem, but if I use the "Generate PHP" task again (which is the only way I know of to create the screen.inc files) obviously I get Id duplication.

I could use different names other than the defaults of course, but then it just gets messy. A way of simply recreating them the in same way you can recreate the data dictionary files would be cool.

Can it be done?

Or I could just do it manually Razz

Either way, I was just curious.

â
Re: Regenerate <table_name>.screen.inc files [message #683 is a reply to message #682] Sun, 18 March 2007 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
The task generation mechanism is for new tasks, and will not update existing .php or .inc files for any changes made. This is so that you do not "accidentally" overwrite an existing file for a new task.

It is quicker to update the files manually rather than tell the system what changes you want made and then have it make them for you.

Considering the small sizes of the files in question this should not be a problem.

In a lot of the transactions I write I have to amend the screen files anyway so that I can put the fields in the sequence which I want, not the sequence in which they are defined in the database.

Re: Regenerate <table_name>.screen.inc files [message #684 is a reply to message #683] Sun, 18 March 2007 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
braingeyser is currently offline  braingeyser

Quote:

It is quicker to update the files manually rather than tell the system what changes you want made and then have it make them for you.

Fair point

Quote:

Considering the small sizes of the files in question this should not be a problem.

Not at all. I'm just a lazy sod. Razz

Quote:

In a lot of the transactions I write I have to amend the screen files anyway so that I can put the fields in the sequence which I want, not the sequence in which they are defined in the database.

Didn't think of that. In fact I just realised I usually define them in the db in the order I'd use them in a data entry screen anyway. Never occurred to me that I'd need to change the order before. I guess that's why you're the software designer and I'm the hack coder. Very Happy

â
Re: Regenerate <table_name>.screen.inc files [message #685 is a reply to message #684] Sun, 18 March 2007 06:20 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
When I built the transaction generation scripts I did think about having a screen to help you customise the screen layouts, but the more I thought about it the more difficult it became, especially when trying to have more than one field to a line in a detail screen. In the end I decided on the simplest solution - generate the screen structure file with a default layout containing all existing fields, then allow the developer to customise this file using his/her IDE or text editor.

Considering how simple the screen structure file is, it is far easier to amend it using a text editor than a fancy HTML screen.

Previous Topic: Custom Validation Executed - Blank Screen Displays
Next Topic: Invoice - Automatic Tax and Net value calculation while entering data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:37:54 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01005 seconds