Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Transaction Patterns » Alternative to the LINK1 pattern
Alternative to the LINK1 pattern [message #7454] Sun, 05 April 2020 12:42 Go to next message
htManager is currently offline  htManager
I restructured my tables so that I could use the link pattern as you suggested. It works but it isn't that comfortable for me because of the following reasons:

I can assign the team members to the teams but it is very complex. The team consists of about 15 persons. I have about 200-300 persons which I can choose. So it takes me a lot of time. Normally about 80% of the team members are the same.

The selection of the team members is one of the things which I have to do every new season. I have also workouts for each team and sometimes I want to copy some positions of these workouts and this is very uncomfortable with a link pattern.

It would be great if there would be a pattern with which I could solve my problems. this would mean that a popup1 pattern would determine the primary key which would be given to the popup2 pattern which would list the positions/items and you could choose the items which you want to insert. And this via a navigation button.

Here is the table structure:

team -> season -> members
team -> season -> workouts -> items

I hope I could explain it to you. I think it would be a good extension of the Radicore framework, at least for me. Wink
Re: Alternative to the LINK1 pattern [message #7455 is a reply to message #7454] Mon, 06 April 2020 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
I have split this post into a separate thread as the subject matter is different from that of the original thread.

If you wish to make multiple selections from a database table which you then wish to add into the database using the current task then I'm afraid that this can ONLY be done using a popup. Remember that a popup task will allow you to make multiple selections which can be processed in one go instead of single selections which have to be processed one at a time.

Navigation buttons cannot be used to make selections, they simple run another task, and after the popup task has terminated all the calling task can do is refresh itself.

You haven't really identified what you are trying to do and how you would like it done. If you say that when you define a team for a new season that most of the members are the same, so you don't want to start with an empty team then the solution is obvious - start by copying all the team's members from the previous season into the new one, then make changes by adding or removing individual members.

Re: Alternative to the LINK1 pattern [message #7456 is a reply to message #7455] Mon, 06 April 2020 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your proposed solutions. The way I wanted it to be done is the way I know. This doesn't mean that this is a good way. But I thought that it would be logical if you can choose and insert desired records into a child table.

If you say that I should copy all members of a team into the new team of the next season, this would be a good solution for me. But I don't know how to do this.

Is it right that I first have to create the new team, then select the team with the members to be inserted? And do I have to do this with an add4 pattern?

Or do I have to select all the team members which I want to insert in the new team and then choose the new team? And with which pattern?

Or do you think of a complete different way?

[Updated on: Tue, 07 April 2020 03:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Alternative to the LINK1 pattern [message #7457 is a reply to message #7456] Tue, 07 April 2020 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
There may be times when what you want to achieve cannot be done in a single task. In this case you have to break it down into a series of logical steps, then find a way to perform each of those steps in the desired sequence. In the attached screenshot, which is taken from my ERP application, you will see how I have implemented the task to copy or transfer the details of one sales order to another. This is broken down into separate steps as follows:
1) This is a MULTI4 task which is activated by a navigation button in a "List Sales Order" screen. It shows the Order Header in the top zone and the order lines in the bottom zone.
2) It contains a custom button labelled "Create Order" which is used to create a new (empty) order which will be recipient of the selected order lines.
3) After the new order is created the user selects which order lines need to be processed.
4) By pressing the "Copy Items" navigation button the selected items will be copied to the new order.
5) By pressing the "Transfer Items" navigation button the selected items will be copied to the new order then deleted from the old order.
All it requires is a bit of creative thinking.
  • Attachment: CopyOrder.png
    (Size: 39.10KB, Downloaded 420 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 07 April 2020 05:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Alternative to the LINK1 pattern [message #7458 is a reply to message #7457] Tue, 07 April 2020 16:11 Go to previous message
Thank you for your information and for your ideas about solving such a problem. It is very logical.
But unfortunately it is a little bit too much for me at the moment. I am about to understand always more the way your framework works but to create these tasks is too much for me at the moment. That's why I will suspend this problem until I am even more familiar with the method Radicore works.

Moreover I designed my code always the other way round (in ObjectPal). I created the parent record and then called popups to select these child records which I wanted to insert. That makes it a little more difficult for me.

I will come back to your proposed method as soon as I am ready.
Previous Topic: Filepicker - getDir()
Next Topic: Filepicker - choose Null button
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:16:18 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07758 seconds