Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » NULL string
NULL string [message #311] Thu, 19 October 2006 03:15 Go to next message
galdiolom is currently offline  galdiolom
Hi Mr. Marston,
these are two "stupid" questions for a professional programmer but, for an end-user like me (that like your works and applied it to a 'database' [ex Microsoft Access] to archiving my music library) are a little bit confusing:

1. I have a situation where, in some cases, last_name can be NULL so, when I'm trying to execute an $sql_select that have:
CONCAT(first_name, " ",last_name)
the result (obviously) is NULL.
Can I (and how) implement the control for this situation. I think the better place is in <table>.class.inc with _cm_formatData :

function _cm_formatData ($fieldarray)
// perform custom formatting before values are shown to the user.
{
if (!isset($fieldarray['person_name'])) {
// merge first_name and last_name into person_name
if (isset($fieldarray['first_name']) AND isset($fieldarray['last_name'])) {
$fieldarray['person_name'] = $fieldarray['first_name']
. ' '
. $fieldarray['last_name'];
} // if
} // if

return $fieldarray;

} // _cm_formatData

2. Is it possible with filepicker to access <subdirectories> of the <main> (picture) in you example?

Thank you in advance
Maurizio Galdiolo
Re: NULL string [message #312 is a reply to message #311] Thu, 19 October 2006 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
There are two possible solutions to problem number 1:

1(a) If you are using MySQL you can try CONCAT_WS instead of CONCAT. See the manual at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/string-functions.html

1(b) You can do it manually in the _cm_formatData() method as you suggested.

As for problem number 2, the short answer is "not yet" as there is no mechanism to browse through hierarchies of directories. The idea is that each implementation looks for specific file types in a specific directory, and not look for "something" which may be "anywhere". You should really design your application so that particular files go in particular directories, then you won't have a need to go wandering around looking for anything.

Even if I did implement such a feature it would only look from the current directory downwards, and would not have the ability to look in directories below other subsystems.

Re: NULL string [message #313 is a reply to message #311] Thu, 19 October 2006 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
galdiolom is currently offline  galdiolom
Thank you,
yes!
As you suggest the simplest solution was to adopt the CONCAT_WS.

I found little problem:
when I try to SUBMIT a new record (from the <table>.list.screen.inc the system reply (for some fields):

Value is above maximum value (127)

Think that message had to do with some parameters in the <table>.dict.inc, BUT which one? And ho to resolve?
Best regards
Maurizio Galdiolo
Re: NULL string [message #314 is a reply to message #313] Thu, 19 October 2006 09:52 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Go to the data dictionary and look in the column details for that table. For numeric fields you will see columns for minimum and maximum values. This means that you cannot enter numbers which are outside of this range. You can adjust these values if you want, but you cannot use values which are too large for the size of the field as it is defined in the database.

After making any adjustments in the data dictionary you must run the 'Export to PHP' function in order to update the <table>.dict.inc file.

Previous Topic: Display field from related table
Next Topic: Convert XMI to PHP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:58:48 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01077 seconds