Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Concurrency / freshness of data objects
Concurrency / freshness of data objects [message #419] Thu, 23 November 2006 16:13 Go to next message
Kiple is currently offline  Kiple
Hi,

First let me say how much I like the Framework, diving into the code has been a good learning experience.

I think I may have missed something. One of the key problems is the risk that the data you are editing is not the latest and someone else has changed it. The delay between when you read the data to start editing and the point when you commit the changes can be substantial in computer terms.

I have seen some business objects that check for changes before the update or delete process and fail if there has been an update.

I can't see how Radicode protects against this. Is it locking at the business rules level?

Regards

Kiple
Re: Concurrency / freshness of data objects [message #421 is a reply to message #419] Thu, 23 November 2006 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Generally speaking two people should not be updating the same information on the same object at the same time. If they are then there is something wrong with your administrative procedures.

The simple solution is to allow both updates, so which ever update is applied last is the one that 'sticks'.

It would be possible to cause the second update to fail if any data has changed between the 'read' and the 'update', but in my long experience this has rarely been requested by customers, and in those few cases were it has it has actually caused more problems than it solves.

In short, Radicore does not have any built-in method to protect against such updates. The real question should be "why would two different people be trying to update the same record at the same time?"

Re: Concurrency / freshness of data objects [message #439 is a reply to message #421] Tue, 05 December 2006 06:14 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Version 1.19.0 now contains a mechanism whereby you can detect and prevent simultaneous updates of the same database record. This is a optional feature that can be applied to selected database tables.

Please refer to http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/infrastructure-faq.html #faq70 for details.

Previous Topic: [tip] Changing scrolling order outer/middle table
Next Topic: overruling primary validation time fieldtype
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:06:57 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00955 seconds