Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet
Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1044] Tue, 07 August 2007 11:41 Go to next message
adamsp is currently offline  adamsp
Independent tables are GRANTS and STAFF. Dependent table is GRANT_STAFF. The GRANT_STAFF screen has two popups, one for Grants and one for Staff. I can correctly display and edit records with my div_grant_staff(list2) and my div_grant_staff(upd1) tasks/screens.

Problem: Adding a new record.
When I select New from the div_grant_staff(list2) task/screen I get a blank form/screen for my div_grant_staff(add2) task. (Looks good!). On this screen the parent GRANT is already entered (nice) and the name of the grant is displaying appropriately (as a popup should). The Staff person is not yet selected and we see the familar >> popup button.

When I click on the button to select staff I get the message
"No parent has yet been selected".

Where is this discussed?
Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1048 is a reply to message #1044] Wed, 08 August 2007 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony, Were you able to check on this?
Thanks
Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1049 is a reply to message #1044] Wed, 08 August 2007 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
What pattern is the popup which generates the "No parent has yet been selected" message? Is it POPUP1 or POPUP2?

Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1050 is a reply to message #1044] Wed, 08 August 2007 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
POPUP2
My task is div_grantstaff_staff2(popup2).
My scriptID is grantstaff_staff2(popup2).php

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2007 08:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1051 is a reply to message #1050] Wed, 08 August 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should be obvious then that a POPUP2 function, which is modelled on a LIST2 function, requires the identity (primary key) of an occurrence of the outer entity before it can retrieve occurrences of the inner entity. Please refer to the following for two possible solutions:

Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1052 is a reply to message #1044] Wed, 08 August 2007 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmm... Perhaps I should be using POPUP1...
The task here is to select a STAFF person from a popup of ALL staff persons. I will test this approach.
Re: Adding new child record error: No Parent Selected Yet [message #1053 is a reply to message #1052] Wed, 08 August 2007 09:01 Go to previous message
That is why you need to think before you decide which pattern to use. The difference between a POPUP1 and a POPUP2 is the same as the difference between a LIST1 and a LIST2.

Previous Topic: POPUPs do not display
Next Topic: FILEPICKER setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:31:10 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01533 seconds