Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Using SQL Aggregate Functions (How to use MAX, AVE, SUM, etc.)
Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1286] Thu, 13 March 2008 06:58 Go to next message
melvinsdb is currently offline  melvinsdb

Hi Sir Tony,

I was trying to use the framework to get MAX (`student_id`) from the crs_student table using getdata_raw setting $this->sql_select. First, it required using the "GROUP BY", but I still I keep getting unexpected results.

in MySQL --> SELECT MAX (`student_id`) AS last_id FROM `crs_student`

in Radicore
$this->sql_select = "MAX (`student_id`) AS last_id"
$rows=$this->getdata_raw("");
$rows[0]['last_id'] <-- expecting to contain largest student_id

-------
Result is not the largest ID.

How can I use aggregate functions in the getdata series or am I doing things the wrong way and making faulty assumptions?

THanks again.

Melvin
Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1289 is a reply to message #1286] Thu, 13 March 2008 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
If you look inside the _cm_getInitialData() method of file crs_student.class.inc you will see that I use the following code:
$count = $this->getCount("SELECT max(student_id) FROM $this->tablename");
$fieldarray['student_id'] = $count + 1;

I have also tried the following code with exactly the same result:
$this->sql_select = "MAX(student_id) AS last_id";
$rows=$this->getdata_raw();
$count = $rows[0]['last_id'];

I prefer the first method as it requires less code.

Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1296 is a reply to message #1289] Tue, 25 March 2008 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

While I prefer the same option, unfortunately some cases use keys mixing alpha and trailing numeric. I did try to use the second suggestion but got this...

2008-03-26 01:15:28

Fatal Error: MySQL error: 1140 - Mixing of GROUP columns (MIN(),MAX(),COUNT(),...) with no GROUP columns is illegal if there is no GROUP BY clause (# 1140).

SQL query: SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS MAX(`student_id`) AS student_id, crs_class.class_name FROM crs_student LEFT JOIN crs_class ON (crs_class.class_id=crs_student.class_id)

Error in line 451 of file 'E:\xampp\htdocs\radicore\includes\dml.mysqli.class.inc'.

Host Info: localhost via TCP/IP
Server Version: 5.0.51
Client Info: 5.0.51, Client Encoding: latin1

Script: /radicore/classroom/student_add.php

I decided to include a $this->sql_groupby = "...." to make it work. but this is just a temporary measure

Thanks
Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1297 is a reply to message #1296] Wed, 26 March 2008 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That query was not generated by my default code, so where did it come from?

Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1298 is a reply to message #1297] Thu, 27 March 2008 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yes, I found the cause.

I was using getdata() instead of getdata_raw as you suggested.

Thanks
Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1299 is a reply to message #1298] Thu, 27 March 2008 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you use the getCount() method? This was purposely designed for obtaining a single aggregate value, and is easier to use than the getData_raw() method.

Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1305 is a reply to message #1299] Fri, 04 April 2008 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the creation of an ID follows a particular string formula based on the last or largest existing ID. All resolved now.
Re: Using SQL Aggregate Functions [message #1306 is a reply to message #1305] Fri, 04 April 2008 05:21 Go to previous message
But surely this is what the following code does:
$last_id = $this->getCount("SELECT max(student_id) FROM $this->tablename");

Previous Topic: creating list items
Next Topic: How do you deploy your app?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 16:35:49 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03403 seconds