Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Display of task description
Display of task description [message #1591] Sun, 31 August 2008 17:47 Go to next message
gpatti is currently offline  gpatti
Tony,

Is it possible to display the task description instead of the task id at the top of each screen? Would like to make the application look a little more friendly and can't figure out if this is possible.

Thanks,

Graham
Re: Display of task description [message #1592 is a reply to message #1591] Mon, 01 September 2008 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Please read http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/radicore-tutorial.html# modify.screen.labels.

Re: Display of task description [message #1594 is a reply to message #1591] Mon, 01 September 2008 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure whether I am missing something here.

I can get all the text working as I want apart from the screen titles. From what I can see the screen titles are always showing the task_id rather than the task_description. So no matter what I enter as the description either in the task_mnu or in the language file I still see the task_id.

What am I doing wrong?
Re: Display of task description [message #1595 is a reply to message #1594] Mon, 01 September 2008 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are not following the instructions:
(1) Set the task description by updating the MNU_TASK table.
(2) Export the whole subsystem to produce a file called 'text/<subsys_id>.menu_export.txt'.
(3) Use the contents of this file to update the 'text/<language>/language_text.inc ' file.

Simply updating the task description on the MNU_TASK table is not good enough as at runtime the text is taken from the relevant language file. This allows separate files to exist for different languages as part of the internationalisation (I18N) feature.

Re: Display of task description [message #1596 is a reply to message #1591] Mon, 01 September 2008 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did do all that - and I copied the contents into the language file. I see all the correct descriptions in this file - I didn't need to change any as I had set them correctly in the task descriptions. But, I still only see the task_id on the screens.

I replaced the contents of the language file, rather than added to it. It looked like the existing data wasn't relevant to the app. Is that where I've gone wrong?

Graham
Re: Display of task description [message #1597 is a reply to message #1596] Mon, 01 September 2008 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to step through with your debugger to see where you are going wrong. In file 'include.xml.php5.inc' at line 458 is the following code:
$xsl_params['title'] = getLanguageText($task_id);

This is where it retrieves the text from the language file using $task_id as the key. If it cannot find the entry it will return the key, so are you sure you have put your text in the right file in the right place?

Re: Display of task description [message #1598 is a reply to message #1591] Mon, 01 September 2008 09:50 Go to previous message
Seemed to be because I had overwritten the existing contents of the language file instead of inserting the exported details. I realised afterwards that the existing entries were placeholders for error messages, but didn't think that would have any effect. Fortunately, I had taken a copy of the file before overwriting it.

Now that I've added the language details into the existing file everything is working properly.

Thanks for the help once again
Previous Topic: Use the ADD5 template
Next Topic: Filter values in popup / add3 transaction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:49:55 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01120 seconds