Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » File upload as control in table column?
File upload as control in table column? [message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 05:28 Go to next message
bonzo_bcn is currently offline  bonzo_bcn
Is there any way to add the 'upload file' task as a control of a table column?

For what I understand to add a picture you need a filepicker in the table column, this opens a transaction where you have to upload the picture if it's not there, and then select it.
Is there any way that an upload button can appear next to the table column? So that you upload directly the file you want to associate to that field?
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1613 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
No. You have to pick a file that exists. If it doesn't exist you have to upload it. "Picking" and "Uploading" are separate operations.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1615 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you plan to make the upload pattern as a control in the near future?
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1616 is a reply to message #1615] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no plans to make the fileupload into a control. It can be activated from a filepicker, which can be activated from a control.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1617 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. I just asked because normally you find a file upload control, I'm sure users will ask for it once my application is running.
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1618 is a reply to message #1617] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fileupload is a task that can be activated either from a navigation button or a menu button. It is separate from the filepicker which be activated from a control button for a specified field.

I have no plans to merge the fileupload and filepicker into a single task which can be activated from a control button.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1619 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok.
I store the photograph of each person, ideally, next to the field 'photo' I would like to have the upload button, so that the user picks a picture from his HD and uploads it. Don't you think this is a common task and that it should be in radicore?
If I put the upload task as a button in the detail screen, It wont display the picture, right?
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1620 is a reply to message #1619] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The filepicker and fileupload are separate operations. My existing users have no problem with this arrangement.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1621 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does work perfectly as it is, I just wanted to suggest an improvement.
Almost all applications work with the upload button as a control, and having radicore work like them would make it more user friendly adn more 'standard', the way it works now is not intuitive.

If I put the file upload as a task button in a detail screen to upload the picture of a person, is there a way to show the picture in the details?
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1622 is a reply to message #1621] Wed, 10 September 2008 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your method is not the "standard" by any means, it is just what you have seen in a few applications. None of my users have any problems with my implementation of these two operations as separate functions, so it is also incorrect to imply that my method is "not intuitive".

There is no way with the fileupload task to show an image of the file which has just been uploaded. Its purpose is simply to upload a file from the client to the server, and it may not even be an image file.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1624 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I won't continue the discussion forever, but this is the first time I see your implementation method, and I've used many web applications.

With your method:
1) click on filepicker
2) click on upload button
3) click on 'browse..'
4) select the file from the hd
5) click on 'send'
6) select the picture (if you have 5000 pictures it will take some time to find the one you just uploaded)

The 'standard' way:
1) click on upload button
2) click on 'browse..'
3) select the file from the hd

Three steps instead of six.

I know you won't implement it, but I think it would be great to have it.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1625 is a reply to message #1624] Wed, 10 September 2008 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might get around to it at some time in the future, but I cannot give any guarantees. At the moment I am tied up with a big project that is earning me money so I have less time to do things that I give away for free.

Perhaps you would like to try your hand at creating a page controller that does what you want. The code for uploading and picking a file already exists, so all you would have to do is combine them into a single unit. How hard could that be?

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1626 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, I'll try and let you know.
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1627 is a reply to message #1626] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's also another approach which I like more - still have the fileupload called from the filepicker, but if the filepicker is used then automatically set that file as the user's selection and immediately return from the filepicker. This will cut out the browsing and selection steps after the file has been uploaded.

This would be easier to code and also more flexible for the user as they would not be forced to upload the file if it already existed on the server.

Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1628 is a reply to message #1611] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I understand.
I'll try to implement both options.
Re: File upload as control in table column? [message #1640 is a reply to message #1628] Thu, 11 September 2008 16:19 Go to previous message
I have taken a look at the filepicker pattern, and with a few lines of code I have changed it so that if the fileupload task is called to upload a new file then when it returns to the filepicker the uploaded file will automatically be returned by the filepicker to the calling task as the selected file without any additional action by the user.

This will be included in the next release, but if you can't wait then you can use the attached file.

Previous Topic: _cm_popupcall giving unexplained result
Next Topic: Exporting data from radicore into an excel file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:59:47 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01220 seconds