Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Document Management like workflow (Some questions on a doc management like workflow)
Document Management like workflow [message #2170] Thu, 25 June 2009 11:29 Go to next message
Kiple is currently offline  Kiple
Hi,

I am investigating building a workflow that is similar to the submit/review/approve workflow usually associated with document management. But I've hit a few gaps in my knowledge in Radicore.

1. Inserting a new record will trigger the workflow start. I do not want to be able to edit existing approved records. When the edit task is fired, I would expect to insert a new record with an increased revision. This gives me two tasks that should trigger the workflow start but workflows can only have one trigger task. Anyone know of a different way of doing this?

2. The record tasks (review, approve, delete) appear on the nav bar depending upon the permissions of the user. But these are also part of the workflow but the buttons appear even if the task is not ready to fire on the work flow. Have I got my permissions set up wrong?

Thanks for any comments

Regards

Kiple
Re: Document Management like workflow [message #2171 is a reply to message #2170] Thu, 25 June 2009 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
What you are describing is document-based workflow whereas the Radicore implementation is activity-based, which is slightly different. A document may be passed to any number of people for review and/or amendmemt, and may even go round in a loop several times, which means that it is the same activity that is being repeated an unknown number of times. In Radicore a workflow contains a predictable number of different activities in a predictable sequence, so it cannot easily be amended to deal with the same activity repeated for an unknown number of times.

If you have tasks set up for Review, Approve and Delete then they will appear on the navigation bar if the user has been allowed to access them. There is nothing in the framework which can check for the status of a record before any of these entries are displayed.

Re: Document Management like workflow [message #2173 is a reply to message #2171] Thu, 25 June 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply, I take your point about activity v entity workflows but I do think the activity workflow is capable of doing it provided the data class becomes workflow aware in terms of a 'State' field. I am getting positive results from the first testing.

Thanks for the reply about the buttons, that what I thought but you saved me some time browsing the code.

Do you have any recommendations on the 'create new record on edit'. I have been looking at processing in cm_GetExtraData to detect an update task and insert a new record but I don't think that is the right place or cm_post_updateRecord and use the old data.

Thanks for any reply

Kiple
Re: Document Management like workflow [message #2174 is a reply to message #2173] Thu, 25 June 2009 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
If you want to create a new record when an existing record is updated then the best place would be the _cm_post_updateRecord() method as this is only called after the existing record has been successfully updated. The _cm_GetExtraData() is called in several places before the update, so is definitely not the right one to use.

Re: Document Management like workflow [message #2175 is a reply to message #2170] Thu, 25 June 2009 15:49 Go to previous message
Thanks I'll give it a go Smile
Previous Topic: MULTI4 Update Problem
Next Topic: Provide a dynamic custom title for a report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:18:37 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01062 seconds