Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Does Radicore allow orphaned children? (Relationship with nullify on delete)
Does Radicore allow orphaned children? [message #3374] Thu, 24 January 2013 17:56 Go to next message
David Lee is currently offline  David Lee
I require two tables, each with records that are related to zero or one records in the other table. My initial thought was a simple parent-child relationship, and use nullify on delete, allowing nulls in the foreign key and orphaned children. This does not work, and I suspect the way to do this is via a link table. I have also not found any Radicore relationships which use nullify on delete. So I have 2 questions:

1) Is the nullify on delete option usable in any situation? Any examples available?
2) Is there any simpler option than a link table for my requirement?

Re: Does Radicore allow orphaned children? [message #3375 is a reply to message #3374] Fri, 25 January 2013 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Take a look at Update Relationship and you will see that there is a NULLIFY option for relationships.

When you say that putting nulls in a foreign key does not work, what exactly do you mean? This is used in my Xample prototype to produce orphan nodes in my tree structure, so I know that the concept does work.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 March 2014 05:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does Radicore allow orphaned children? [message #3378 is a reply to message #3375] Fri, 25 January 2013 13:10 Go to previous message
David Lee is currently offline  David Lee
Thanks for the quick response. I am aware of the option on Update Relationship, but could not find any example where it was used. I will check again your Xample prototype, and see what I can get to work (or not work), and post the result. It is likely to be a week before I can look at this.
Previous Topic: Missing Multi2 column + debug tips + modify dbObject by task
Next Topic: Parameters to batch functions / timeout
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:13:59 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00903 seconds