Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE » How To » Display field from related table
Display field from related table [message #298] Tue, 03 October 2006 21:35 Go to previous message
Acharn is currently offline  Acharn
I've been using the example of the Ruby on Rails Cookbook to try to get a handle on using your framework, and I've hit on a snag. The database contains two tables: categories and recipes. Categories has two fields: id and name. Recipes has 6 fields: id, title, description, date, instructions, and category_id. Category_id is a foreign key to the categories table.

I've managed to get the basic menu and process scripts working, but in the screens which display data from the recipes table I want to show the name of the category, not its index number. I figured I could examine your solutions and chose the Classrooms prototype. The screen listing Lessons looked good, because you display the name of the teacher, rather than the teacher_id. But when I examine lesson_list.php and the associated crs_lesson.list.screen.inc I don't find any clue. The way the SQL is constructed is helpful on its own, but I expected some reference to the crs_teacher table to retrieve the name field.

The teacher's name displayed in the lesson_list screen is a nicely formatted string made from the three fields crs_teacher.title, crs_teacher.first_name, and crs_teacher.last_name. How did you do it?

Roger

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Creating filters
Next Topic: NULL string
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:07:05 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00911 seconds