Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Framework » Is Radicore better than Ruby On Rails?
Re: Is Radicore better than Ruby On Rails? [message #551 is a reply to message #550] Wed, 17 January 2007 13:30 Go to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Perhaps if you gave more constructive criticism I would be abe to provide a better response. Statements like "I feel I have more control over RoR and Cake" leads me to believe that you like to do more things yourself rather than have the framework do them for you. This "DIY" approach means that you actually spend more time designing and writing code whereas the Radicore approach is to make use of as many pre-written and reusable components as possible, thus cutting down the development effort without cutting down on the features. The only problem arises if you don't like the way these features are implemented, but I cannot do anything about that. You either like it or you don't, and unless you can describe a better method you simply aren't saying anything worth listening to.

You suggest I should redesign the GUI without identifying how it could be improved. Statements like "I feel like I have just taken a step back to last millennium" do not contain anything of substance and are therefore worthless. Perhaps the fact that you say "I am a command-line person" means that you feel more at home with a command line interface instead of a GUI, in which case you are totally out of luck.

You say "it's really messy, too many things" without quantifying what exactly you mean. How is it messy? What could be removed where to clean it up?

When you say that Radicore is "not goal driven in the process" that just tells me that you have totally missed the point. The purpose of Radicore is to build transactions that maintain the contents of database tables, and these transactions can be built very quickly from the library of transaction patterns. These patterns include lots of standard behaviour that is instantly available without any further effort.

"The listing of 'everything', just give me the headaches." indicates to me that you have not worked on an administrative application, web or otherwise. I have been working with such applications for 25+ years and this is how they all work. Take a typical scenario in an accounting system for example. You want to look at a customer's details, so where do you start? Answer: at the 'List Customer' screen. Rather than having to scroll through all the records until you find the one you want you press the 'Search' button so you can enter whatever search criteria you have available. When you press the 'Submit' button on the 'Search' screen it instantly returns to the 'List' screen and rebuilds the display according to your search criteria. Having located the record you want you then have a variety of navigation buttons at your disposal to perform other actions on the selected customer. This could be viewing that customer's invoices, which again is presented as another list. The contents of this list can be refined with another 'Search' button, such as "overdue invoices only", or you can use any of the available hyperlinks to change the sort order, such as by value instead of date.

If this is not the type of application you are writing, then Radicore is not for you. If this is not how you want your application to function, then Radicore is not for you.

But if this *IS* the type of application you want, and *IS* the type of behaviour that you want, then you will have to go a long way to find anything better than Radicore.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message