Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Workflow » Problem with db
Re: Problem with db [message #1007 is a reply to message #18] Sat, 28 July 2007 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
zamolxes is currently offline  zamolxes
"It is possible to merge all the tables into a single database, but the effort is too huge and I'm not going to do it."

If merging the tables into one database involves considerable work from your part, why do you write such misleading things in your Programming Guidlines, that lead to the conclusion, that it can be achieved by configuration.

"I have been working on large applications for many years, ..."
So have I, really complex applications, able to cope with terabytes of information under very stringent conditions as to performance, accuracy, timeliness, requiring exact design.

"... and the concept of a separate database for each subsystem is just standard practice. This is how professional systems are written, it is how professional databases work, ..."

Experience shows, that there is no such thing as 'standard practice'. Instead, there exist quite a number of standard practices, each in its own right, and applied according to circumstances.

According to Charles Darwin neither the most intelligent, nor the strongest will survive, but the most adaptable. This is also true for software.

The professionality of a software product is unrelated to the size of he application for which it is used. From what you say, I conclude that only large applications can be professional.
However ingeniously a product may be designed, its acceptance and success will strongly depend on its ability to adapt itself to the most controversial environments.

"... so low budget ISPs should not prevent the standard practice of professionals with their amateur restrictions."
Why don't you tell the ISPs? I'm not an ISP and telling ME what ISPs should do, or rather what they should not do, will not bring about changes.

In the meantime, could you answer these questions? If I try to have Radicore installed on one of our systems over which I have complete control, how much space should be allocated for each of the different databases? I have not read all your documentaion yet, but before I end up with another surprise, I rather ask this question now, and I'm asking it because after all I have read now, Radicore is oriented towards utmost professionalism: Will I have to distribute these databases over separate disks, since this is how professional databases work? And if so, can those disks be shared with other applications, or must they be dedicated to Radicore? This will help me estimate the number of hard disks I'll possibly have to buy, in order to make the framework run.

Best regards HF

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Task and Session Management Using Workflow
Next Topic: Using workflow component in my own application(?)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:34:37 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01123 seconds