Radicore Forum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » RADICORE development » Workflow » Problem with db
Re: Problem with db [message #1009 is a reply to message #1007] Sun, 29 July 2007 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AJM is currently offline  AJM
Here are my answers:
  • There is nothing in my programming guidelines which says that my software can be switched from using multiple databases to a single database with a simple configuration option.
  • The comment in my programming guidelines about "where there is a restriction on the number of different databases which can be created" was for ADDITIONAL databases for new subsystems being written to run under the Radicore framework as I am aware that some ISPs do not allow more than 5 or so databases. The kind of people who will most likely benefit from using the Radicore framework are the ones who have total control over their web servers, so the petty restrictions imposed by some low-budget ISPs are of no concern to me.
  • I have been writing administrative applications, primarily for the desktop and latterly for the web, for over 25 years. These applications involve heavy database usage, and it was standard practice in all of those applications to have separate databases for each subsystem. Thus to me this is "standard practice". My current project, for example, has 7 databases, 130 tables, 230 relationships and 1000 tasks.
  • Databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle specifically allow multiple database schemas per server, it is possible for a single SELECT statement to access multiple databases through the use of JOINs, and their administration tools make the maintenance of multiple databases/schemas very easy. Any ISP who specifically disallows this capability is, IMHO, providing a less-than-optimal service.
  • The databases within the Radicore framework are quite small, initially less than 2MB combined, and the only one which may grow significantly over time is the Audit database, but that depends entirely on how much data you write to it. If you ever reach any limits on database sizes it will not be as a result of a flaw in the Radicore framework.
  • The Radicore framework does not FORCE you to distribute each database onto a separate server, neither does it disallow it. It even allows different databases to run under different databases engines, so you can have a MySQL database, a PostgreSQL database and an Oracle database all running under a single Radicore instance.
  • The Radicore framework does not mind sharing a disk with other applications, and it will allow both the application code and the database(s) to reside on the same disk, therefore the minimum number of hard disks is 1 (one). There is no maximum.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Task and Session Management Using Workflow
Next Topic: Using workflow component in my own application(?)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:53:44 EDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 1.49667 seconds